Learn about what you can expect from your online medical billing and coding program including common courses, online class format, how much time the program may take and the end goals of your program.
Common Courses In Online Billing And Coding Programs
- Medical Office Systems
- ICD-10-CM Guidelines and Coding
- Musculoskeletal System
- Respiratory System
- Cardiovascular System
- Digestive System
- Urinary System and Male Genital System
- Female Reproductive System and Maternity Care & Delivery
- Endocrine System and Nervous System
- Special Senses (Ocular and Auditory)
- Pathology & Laboratory
Online Class Format
Most online programs let you learn at your own pace, but some may require you to hit deadlines or test within a certain period. With an online medical billing and coding course, you may expect to learn through reading assignments, audio/video lectures, and practice exercises.
Your program may have “office hours” where you can schedule a time with your instructor, forums where you can ask questions, and other helpful ways to understand information.
Real Schools Offering Online Med Programs
Several of our partner schools have online medical billing and coding programs; and you’re provided with the same opportunities, such as free tutoring or job placement assistance after graduation, that campus-based students receive. Check what your school offers specifically, as perks may vary by college.
- Carrington College: Complete your med billing and coding training in as few as 9 months with Carrington. Financial aid is available for those who qualify, even with online classes.
- Daymar College: Flexibility is important to students, so Daymar has made education available at your pace, in your home. Earn either a certificate or an associate degree in medical b&c.
- Miller-Motte College: Miller-Motte has ground campuses across the Southeast, however, you can complete a med billing and coding certificate online in as few as 15 months.
- Southern Careers Institute: For 60 years, SCI has provided career training for the trades. Earn your degree fully online in as few as 36 months with this accredited school; no campus required!
Is online education not sounding right for you? Find campus-based training near you.
How Long Are Online Med Billing & Coding Programs?
The short answer: An online medical billing and coding course can be completed in as few as 10 months.
If you search the internet, however, you’ll see programs ranging from weeks to years. Most online medical billing and coding programs end in a diploma, a certificate, or an associate’s degree, but all are designed to leave you career-ready. Some programs teach billing and coding separately—these will be the quickest to complete, and some schools have built both tracks into one. Combined programs are commonly two years or longer.
Longer doesn’t necessarily mean better for you and your preferences. Choose a program with a scope and length that fits your career goals.
End Goal Of A Medical Billing & Coding Program
Medical billing and coding revolves around the ICD-10-CM, the standard diagnosing code set. In your online program, you will be taught the codes, billing practices, and policies needed to help patients receive accurate bills from doctors and insurance providers.
In The Field
Once you finish your billing and coding training, you should be ready for an entry-level position. Later, once you have 1-2 years of experience, you can take your certification exams. Becoming certified is not required, but many future employers find it an attractive quality.
Find an online medical billing and coding program to get started toward your career now.