Learn how to get financial aid for medical assistant training programs. This article includes information on grants like the FAFSA and Pell Grant, scholarships, and private student loans. There are even some scholarships just for medical assistant students. Find medical assistant training near you.
Types of Financial Aid
Most colleges offering medical assistant training have their own funds that can be applied for, whether it's in scholarship, grant, or loan form. The best way to find out about your school’s options is talk to them!
For medical assistant training the two major types of financial aid available include government-funded grants such as the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Pell Grant. Also, there are scholarships and student loans available. Read on to learn more.
Grants for Training
For many medical assisting students, grants are the preferable option, since they don't need to be repaid. That also means they don't accrue interest like student loans. Two of the best grant options are the FAFSA and the Pell Grant. The FAFSA is the most important, and you must apply for that first.
Merit & Need-Based Scholarships
Merit and need-based scholarships can be applied for at the medical assistant school you’ll be studying at, or with the foundation offering the scholarship. These scholarships are awarded based on different criteria set by either the school or the foundation. The following is a short list of example merit or need-based scholarships that can be used for medical assistant training and other medical programs too.
- Alice Newell Joslyn Medical Scholarship - Offered by the BECA Foundation (a nonprofit Latino scholarship organization). This $500 – $2,000 scholarship requires that the applicant to be entering a medical or healthcare profession such as dental/medical assistant, nursing, physical therapist.
- Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students - This program provides scholarships to full-time, financially needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds, who are enrolled in health professions and nursing programs.
- Patsy Takemoto Mink Scholarships - Has 5 education support awards of up to $5,000 each to assist low-income women with children who are pursuing post-secondary education.
- ASCP Laboratory Student Scholarships - The ASCP Foundation has a $2,000 laboratory student scholarship for undergraduate students and a $2,000 STEM scholarship for high school students.
Find these and more scholarships listed here: Scholarships For Medical & Healthcare Programs
Scholarships Just For Medical Assistant School
There are some scholarships just for medical assistant students like the Maxine Williams Scholarship. The Maxine Williams Scholarship Fund provides assistance to deserving students studying medical assisting.
Private Loans For Medical Assistant Training
Student loans help cover the costs of school, and they must be repaid over a designated period of time, with interest. Student loans are generally offered at lower rates than the market. Check out:
- The U.S. Department of Education’s William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
- The Sallie Mae Career Training Smart Option Loan is also a popular option for professional training in medical fields, skilled trade certificate courses, and technical training at non-degree granting schools.
Find medical assistant training near you. You can be career-ready in as few as 10 months!