Online medical assistant programs typically come in 3 types: associate degree, diploma, and certificate training. Many times you can complete these programs at your own pace, within some limitations.
How Long Are Online Medical Assisting Programs?
Online medical assisting diploma and associate degree programs take from 1-2 years to finish. Some accelerated online medical assistant certificate programs can be completed in as few as 10 months.
Online Medical Assisting Core Courses
The online medical assisting programs we researched included common core courses such as:
- Medical Terminology
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacology
- Administrative Skills for the Medical Office
- Ethics and Professionalism
- Insurance Claims, Processing, and Adjudication
- Anatomy and Physiology (with lab)
- Medical Clinical Assisting (with lab)
Online Medical Assisting Program Resources
Online medical assistant training generally has no set class schedules: you set the pace and study when it's convenient for you. Most online medical assisting programs include resources like:
- streamed lectures
- supplemental videos
- forums for discussion
- online assignments
- One-on-one online teacher communication
Often times you may interact with teachers and instructors through text, phone, and email; plus, you can chat with fellow classmates online.
Online Medical Assistant Program Objectives
All medical assistant programs, either online or on campus, are designed to qualify you to sit for, and help you pass certain certification exams. These exams may include:
- National Certified Medical Assistant certificate (NCMA) from NCCT
- Clinical Medical Assistant Certification (CMAC) from the AMCA
- Registered Medical Assistant Certification (RMA) from AMT
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant Certificate (CCMA) from NHA
Example Schools With Online Programs
Here’s a few partner schools offering online programs in medical assisting. Click through to learn more about these schools.
- NUC University Online Division
- South College
- Pacific College of Health and Science Online
There are many more accredited medical assistant schools with all-online or partially online programs. Use the search application to connect with one near you.
Summing It Up
After completing your online medical assistant program and getting certified, you’ll be ready to assist physicians and prepare patients for examinations. You’ll be adept at recording vital signs and performing diagnostic tests. Medication administration, specimen collection, and processing will also be familiar to you. You’ll also be prepared to conduct administrative duties that include patient scheduling, records management, office correspondence, and insurance/billing matters.
In 2022, medical assistants earned an average of $40,700, with the top 10% earning $51,710 (bls.gov). Find medical assistant training near you by clicking the button below!