Medical Billing and Coding
Q: What is Medical Billing & Coding?
A: Medical billing and coding is the communication that takes place between the medical provider and the insurance agent. A common thought is that medical billing and medical coding are the same career however they are not.
Find a medical trade school with local and online medical billing and CCS classes
Difference Between Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical billers assign codes and insurance information and insert them into the billing software.
- Certified Coding Specialists (CCS) decipher the documents written by the doctors or nurses and apply the appropriate procedure codes.
The medical billing process begins with the medical care provider-patient visit and ends with payment collection. During this time, a medical billing specialist and a medical coding specialist are deeply involved.
Example Classes in Medical Billing & CCS
- translating patient information into a medical code
- submitting claims to insurance company
- generating invoices
- handling payments
- collecting confidential patient information
Study for Medical Assisting, Billing & CCS Exam
Medical Billing & Certified Coding Specialist Career - Jobs/Pay
Whether your career is in a healthcare facility like a hospital, a nursing facility or a physician/dentist office, you will have a variety of employment options to consider.
- where: Hospitals, pay: $40,510
- where: Physician Office, pay: $33,030
- where: Nursing Facilities, pay: $35,910
- where: Outpatient Care, pay: $38,400
Search our network of schools and fill out a free application when you find the best one.