Medical Assisting Training at National College
Medical Assistants are multi-talented healthcare professionals, skilled in performing routine clinical and administrative procedures for healthcare settings such as physician's offices and outpatient clinics.
Through a blended curriculum of lecture, labs, and a clinical externship placement, you will develop the knowledge and skills you need to assist doctors and nurses as they care for patients in non-critical care settings.
Students completing the Medical Assisting program are eligible to take the RMA (Registered Medical Assistant) exam, administered by the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
As a student in the Medical Assisting program, you will:
- Gain an understanding of medical terminology, anatomy, pathology, and basic concepts of pharmacology and psychology.
- Learn procedures that are important to patients health care such as measuring vital signs, administering injections, and performing venipuncture procedures.
- Become familiar with the administrative duties of running an efficient medical office such as maintaining patient medical records, processing insurance forms, and arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services.
Clinical Medical Assisting Learn medical assisting skills including integrated clinical procedures, assisting with specialty examinations, and assisting with minor surgery. Dosage and Calculations of Medications Learn how to accurately calculate dosages and properly interpret medication labels. Medical Office Procedures Develop the skills needed to handle administrative office duties in a medical office including reception, procedures, scheduling, and office equipment usage.
Why Medical Assisting Students Turn to National College:
- The Medical Assisting program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board*
- Convenience and flexibility – day and evening course schedules to fit your life.
- Small class size – allowing for one-on-one interaction with instructors.
- Industry experienced instructors – bringing their clinical skills and work experience to class.
- Peer tutoring – providing one-on-one help at no additional cost.
- Training in modern medical and computer labs – simulating real work experiences.
- Externship placement as part of the Medical Assisting program – enabling students to build career experience.
- Career services – helping with career advice and resources needed for today's job search environment.
- Refresher courses are available to all our graduates – keeping skills in their field of study sharp and current at no additional tuition costs.
*The Medical Assisting program offered at all Virginia Campuses, all Kentucky Campuses, Indianapolis, IN, Akron Area, OH, Youngstown, OH, Cincinnati, OH, Columbus, OH, Dayton Area, OH, Bristol, TN, Knoxville, TN, Memphis, TN, Madison, TN and Nashville, TN are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) on recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board. Check with your campus director on the accreditation status at your campus. The address and phone number for CAAHEP is: 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756; 727-210-2350. You can check the list of accredited programs at www.caahep.org.
- Bartlett, TN
- Bristol, TN
- Knoxville, TN
- Madison, TN
- Memphis, TN
- Nashville, TN
The Roanoke Valley and Indianapolis campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to award Master's degrees, Bachelor's degrees, Associate's degrees, and diplomas.
The Bristol and Knoxville campuses are authorized by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission, located at 404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900, Nashville, TN 37243 and can be reached at (615) 741-3605. This authorization must be renewed each year and is based on an evaluation by minimum standards concerning the quality of education, ethical business practices, health and safety, and fiscal responsibility.
All other locations are accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to award Associate's degrees and diplomas. American National University is authorized by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia to provide educational programs beyond secondary education in the Commonwealth of Virginia; however, the institution is not subject to the requirements of certification by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.