Medical Training at Everest College
In recent years, the medical assisting profession has become important to the health care field. Not only have physicians become more reliant on medical assistants, but they may also be employed by medical centers, medical specialty clinics, medical transcription agencies, laboratories and emergency rooms.
Medical assistants have become a valuable part of the health care team and their responsibilities continue to expand.
The Medical Assistant diploma program is designed to prepare students for entry-level positions as medical assistants in a variety of health care settings. Students learn the structure and function of the major body systems in conjunction with medical terminology, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, computer skills, administrative processes, bookkeeping and accounting practices, and the processing of medical insurance forms and claims.
You will learn how to maintain a high quality of patient care, take vital signs, and run laboratory and diagnostic tests, all while utilizing your organization, communication and management skills. Upon graduation, you should have the skills to seek entry-level employment in a clinic, doctor's office, medical center or surgical center.
Hands-on learning includes:
- Patient care and communication
- Clinical assisting and pharmacology
- Medical insurance, bookkeeping and health sciences
- Cardiopulmonary procedures
- Laboratory procedures
- Endocrinology and reproduction
- Therapeutic care
Upon completion of the required coursework, students participate in an externship.
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
This program prepares you to become part of a medical office support staff with a particular focus on insurance claims preparation and processing. As a student in this program, you'll study basic anatomy and physiology, the body's various life-sustaining systems, and the diseases and conditions you're most likely to encounter in a physician's office. You'll also learn the universal coding system used to define thousands of medical conditions, diagnoses, surgeries, tests and other procedures. You'll practice completing diagnostic reports, insurance claims forms and other documentation used in most medical practices.
Pharmacies play a vital role in America's health care industry. They dispense the standardized medications doctors prescribe to treat patients with chronic and acute conditions. They compare and cross-reference prescriptions to help patients avoid potentially dangerous drug interactions. They instruct customers on how to properly take the medications they're prescribed. They also offer advice about the non-prescription, over-the-counter drugs they sell.
Pharmacies are run by licensed pharmacists who've undergone many years of education and training. But pharmacy assistants often do much of the routine day-to-day work of operating a pharmacy. Also known as pharmacy technicians or pharm techs, pharmacy assistants perform many of the tasks associated with pharmacy operations. Typical responsibilities include:
- Taking incoming prescription orders
- Filling prescriptions
- Instructing customers on the proper use of their prescription medications
- Processing payments and insurance claims
- Filling out regulatory paperwork
Everest Colleges, Institutes and Universities offer you hands-on career education in some of America's established career fields. Benefits include:
- Programs that can be completed in as little as one year, allowing you to get the training you need and into the workforce quickly.
- Courses taught by instructors who are former industry professionals eager to provide you with practical insights into the subjects they teach.
- Flexible schedules designed to meet the needs of working adults and support systems designed to help you succeed both inside and outside the classroom.
- Career Services professionals who can help you find post-graduation employment opportunities in your area—a service you can access throughout your career.*
- Everest is dedicated to your success today—and tomorrow!
Popular Career Training Programs
Everest Colleges, Institutes and Universities offer career education in these and other popular areas:
- Dental Assistant
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Pharmacy Technician
*Employment is not guaranteed, but career services help is available for students and graduates.
Programs, program lengths and program schedules vary by campus and by state. Everest College, Institute, and University are part of Zenith Education Group.
Accreditation and Disclosures
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program and other important information, please visit our website at http://www.everest.edu/disclosures